I did an experiment with saving and VB today with my kids. I had them save projects in different ways; local hard drive, network drive, and usb drive. I then copied their project folder from the saved location to a network shared drive and to a folder on my desktop to see what kind of issues would occur. From local drive – no issues, usb drive – no issues, network drive –urrk! Copy and paste results in a resource error because the program is trying to find a resource in the kid’s network drive folder. If I map their individual student network drive folder to my computer and then run their project things work just fine. A pain but it is a method. Except for the five computers in my advanced lab, kids do not have access to the local hard drives. I am going to have to play with this a bit more. I am somewhat determined to find a solution to this network drive issue, not because the issue is a big deal but because it presents an interesting challenge.
The Mac thing is also proving itself to be a challenge. Too many years with Windows. The install directions of the software I was installing said to drag the program folder to the Applications folder. Took me 5 minutes to find the Applications folder then I was told I had to be an administrator to change the Applications folder. I thought I was. Thank heaven we have a teacher that is a Mac guru. I have got to get some Macs permanently in my lab so the kids can learn multiple platforms. Of course it would help if my lab was not an over-sized closet with a max occupancy of 6 really close friends.